Our Commitment to You
At the Saskatchewan Cancer Agency we understand that effective healthcare depends on the trust between patients, clients and caregivers. It’s not just about fulfilling a requirement under The Health Information Protection Act and The Local Authority Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act, it’s about a commitment we make to you.
How is my information protected?
The Agency has the necessary administrative procedures and technical and physical safeguards in place to protect information from unauthorized use, access or disclosure. Employees have signed confidentiality agreements and are bound by The Health Information Protection Act (HIPA) and other relevant legislation. The Agency only collects, uses or discloses personal information in accordance with its duties and policies.
How is my information collected?
As a new patient, you will be asked to provide information about yourself, including your contact information and medical history. We only ask and retain the information needed to ensure we can properly identify you and meet your needs for care and follow-up. As required, we may also obtain information pertaining to your care from other health organizations (e.g. prior diagnostic testing, pre-existing medical conditions, etc.).
The Agency receives demographic information from eHealth Saskatchewan in order to provide you with information about participating in our early detection programs. The Agency only receives information for those within the target age group for each program. The Agency’s early detection programs will also receive copies of your test results from laboratories to help ensure that you receive the proper follow-up care and treatment, when necessary.
How is my information used and shared?
Authorized Agency staff access and share your information on a need-to-know basis for the following purposes:
- To properly identify you and provide you with care
- To advise and remind you when you are due for tests, inform you of test results and ensure you receive proper follow-up care, when necessary
- To measure, evaluate and monitor the quality and safety of the care and services the Agency provides
- To provide you with information about our early detection programs
- For medical research purposes
- As required or allowed by law
How can I access or request a change to my personal health information or make changes to my personal information?
You have the right to request access to your personal health information and to request changes if you believe there has been an error or omission in your information. To view or obtain copies of your personal health information, please call 1-306-766-2213 (Regina) or 1-306-655-2662 (Saskatoon) and ask to speak to the release of information desk.
You also have the right to opt out of any of the Agency’s early detection programs. For more information about opting out, please contact:
Screening Program for Breast Cancer: 1-855-584-8228
Screening Program for Colorectal Cancer: 1-855-292-2202
Prevention Program for Cervical Cancer: 1-800-667-0017
Who can I talk to if I have concerns regarding privacy?
For concerns regarding privacy matters, to request a privacy audit, or for more information, please contact:
Saskatchewan Cancer Agency
Phone: 1-855-833-2143 (toll free)
If the Cancer Agency is unable to resolve your concern to your satisfaction, please contact:
Office of the Saskatchewan Information and Privacy Commissioner
503-1801 Hamilton Street
Regina, Saskatchewan S4P 4B4
Phone: 1-877-748-2298 (toll free)
- The Health Information Protection Act (HIPA): www.qp.gov.sk.ca/documents/english/Statutes/Statutes/H0-021.pdf
- HIPA Regulations: www.qp.gov.sk.ca/documents/English/Regulations/Regulations/H0-021r1.pdf
- The Local Authority Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (LAFOIP): www.qp.gov.sk.ca/documents/English/Statutes/Statutes/L27-1.pdf
- The Cancer Agency Act: www.qp.gov.sk.ca/documents/English/Statutes/Statutes/C1-1.pdf
- Office of the Information Privacy Commissioner: www.oipc.sk.ca
- Your Personal Health Information and Privacy: www.saskatchewan.ca/residents/health/accessing-health-care-services/your-personal-health-information-and-privacy
- HIPA brochure: https://pubsaskdev.blob.core.windows.net/pubsask-prod/108825/108825-HIPA_Brochure_2015.pdf
- eHealth Saskatchewan eHR Viewer: www.ehealthsask.ca/services/CDM/Documents/Brochure%20Your%20Health%20Information%20Private%20and%20Secure.pdf