How to Take the FIT
Have all of your supplies ready and in one place. Supplies include:
- Laboratory requisition
- Green capped sampling bottle
- Zip lock bag and cloth
- Collection paper
- Mailing envelope
Click here for video instructions, available in Dene, Cree and English.
- Remove the sampling bottle from the package.
- Flush the toilet and then place the supplied collection paper inside the toilet bowl.
- Have your bowel movement on top of the collection paper or in a disposable clean, dry container.
- Open the green cap of the sampling container with a gentle twist and pull.
- Scrape the surface of the stool sample with the grooved portion of the green sampling wand before the paper sinks and stool touches the water in the toilet bowl. Only a small sample of stool is required.
- Insert the sampling wand back into the container and snap the green cap on tightly. Do not reopen.
- Wrap the sample container in the cloth and place it into the zip lock bag. Place the bag into the return envelope.
- Write the date you collected the sample on the laboratory requisition and place the form in the return envelope with your sample and seal the envelope shut.
Return the FIT.
- Return the envelope to an indoor Canada Post retail outlet or the nearest medical laboratory as soon as possible. You can find a list of lab drop off locations here.
- The test is time and temperature sensitive. The test should not be frozen. Do not place the test in an outdoor mailbox.